Sunday, September 09, 2007

Kill Bill Notes

Kill Bill has to be the ultimate tribute movie. Watching the film brought me back to the movies of the 70s. Kung Fu, Gangster & Western film memories came flooding back.
I could write lots of raves about Tarantino's Kill Bill. (Wikipedia entry here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_Bill)

But just a few notes to capture for now:

When Beatrice finds the "godfather" figure in what seems like isolated part of a latin american country, to ask him where Bill is hiding, there is a book on the table titled "The Carrucan's of Kurrajong" by Jasmine Yuen. I've searched all over Amazon for this book. It does not exist.

Hattori Hanzo - I love this character. Saw replica of the bride's Hanzo sword in a shop in Suntec, near the Cinemas, that sells replicas of weapons from popular/cult movies. Had the chance to unsheath it and swing it around. The replica feels wonderful in one's hand. Imagine how wonderful a genuine Hanzo sword would feel.

The Five Point Palm exploding heart technique - again, such wonderful references to Tarantino's inspiration for the film. It's a tongue twister, but so worth memorizing. When Bill first tells Beatrice about the story behind this technique, during the campfire flashback sequence, one knows with certainty that this technique will be the the way in which Bill meets his end. And to stress the tribute, there is a very shaw brothersy music that accompanies the climatic fight scene where the technique is put to use.

The room in which Bill and the little girl stay is Room 101.
This text is from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_101

Room 101 is a place introduced in the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.
"You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world." said O'Brien
Room 101 is a torture chamber in the Ministry of Love in which a prisoner is subjected to his or her own worst nightmare.


Thinking of Room 101 makes me think of .......... Milo and his cupboard of anxieties, Calvin and his monsters under the bed.
Which in turn makes me think of the scene where Beatrice is in a hotel room, and has just seen the positive result on her pregnancy test. Then the chinese assassin comes in, and it's really, really tense for a while. The pregnancy test stick changes hands, and the assassin backs off.
Brillaint!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Virtual memory,to me, is something that I seem to be unable to ever have enough of. It feels like megabytes and gigabytes have become a permanent part of my day to day existence. Ever since I bought a Micro SD Card for my NDS flash card, I've been on permanent watch for high memory at low prices. I feel like I'm going insane.

(Submitted using SurfV3 for R4i Nintendo DS.)