Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mamma Mia!


"........Here we go again. How can I resist you?"

We just saw Mamma Mia the movie tonight. What a treat!
It was a little hard to watch at first, what with the oddness of the singing and dancing at what seemed like random or contrived moments.
But after the first few songs, the story started to draw me in, and the songs began to get my toes a-tapping, and I was hooked.

Meryl Streep sings very, very well. Pierce Brosnan may have been a great Bond, but thank goodness he never made a career out of singing.
It's high praise that I find myself wanting to buy the soundtrack, to enjoy the songs the way the actresses and actors in the film sang them. Very high praise because I so love the original Abba versions.
At the end of the film, I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of a bearded Bjorn Ulvaeus among the group of greeks dressed like they were on Olympus. On wikipedia, there's a note that Benny Andersson has a cameo as an old fisherman playing a piano during the Dancing Queen sequence.

This wonderful film left me with warm and mellow feelings, and tunes that played over and over in my head, not wanting to leave.

No comments: